Online Collection Help
Home PageUse the options in the left menu to begin browsing the collection:
- Type a word under 'quick search' and click to run a general search. eMuseum will search for instances of your search word in the title, description, medium, etc. of works in the collection.
- Click the button to browse highlighted groups of objects
- Click the button to search for specific works, using a variety of criteria such as name, country, date, etc.
Selected GroupsThis section contains groups of objects pre-selected to illustrate themes, or to highlight aspects of the collection.
Click the "Selected Groups" option in the left navigation bar to open a list of available groups. Then click on a specific name to see the objects.
SearchClick the button in the left navigation bar to search for specific records.
To do a general search, enter a term in the box and click .
eMuseum will find objects in the collection that have your term in the title, medium, description, names of related people, etc.
Advanced Search for Objects
To do a more specific search for objects click the Advanced Search link.
The advanced search presents you with a page of boxes that allow you to construct complex searches. Select a field from the first box, a comparison operator from the second, and a search value from the third. Examples may include:
Advanced Search Tips
- If you select 'is' as the operator in the second column, a pop-up list of possible terms might appear in the third column to assist you with your search.
- Less specific searches will return more results. If you do a search with two fields that returns no results, try searching with a single field. If you run an 'is' search that returns no results, try using 'contains' instead.
Display OptionsAfter opening a collection or running a search, you can view results in various ways:
- Small images with a simple caption
- List without images
- Full details about a specific record
NavigationThe title of each result page gives you a context for the group of records you are viewing:
Specifies that you opened select a collection from the left menu; the name of the selected collection displays in the title.
- Object Search:
Specifies that you ran a search for objects; your search criterion displays in the title.
- People Search:
Specifies that you are viewing results from a people search; your search criterion displays in the title; you may have opened this page by running a specific search or by clicking a name in an object page.
- See Also:
Specifies that you clicked a link in a page to view related records; see below for more details.
On the line below, you have options for moving through the record set. Click the Previous or Next buttons to move forward or backward one page at a time. Click -10 or +10 to move forward by ten pages at a time. Or to select a particular page, click on its number (page 11 is highlighted in the example below).
Related RecordsOn the detail page for specific records (), eMuseum may present you with links to related information. Click these links to begin wandering through the collection, following paths that interest you.
The button appears when you start exploring related records. Click this button to return to your position in the initial record set.
The right vertical bar of some detail pages contains a panel with images of related objects. This bar is designed to help you easily find other objects of interest to you. Click an image to open the detail page for that object.
Some names and terms within the detail page may also be hyperlinked. For example:
- Click a person's name in the object detail page to open a page of biographical information.
- Click the name of an exhibition to see all objects that were included in that exhibition.